Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Me, Math and the Internet (1)

PART ONE:
LEARNING MATHEMATICS IN CYBERSPACE

When I retired as a professor of physics, and so I was very happy but mingled with sadness. Glad that I was free from teaching duties. But sad because if I stop teaching, so my brain will degenerate quickly. Therefore, I learned more in one of the largest universities in the world, namely the Internet. I decided what I have to learn is math. Why did I choose math? Because of when I was a little boy, I was interested in the beautiful images of the fundamental mathematical objects such as regular polyhedron of  Plato in three-dimensional space as it is shown below.



Greater interest in it even after my retirement from physics. Because I found a website from Tony Smith 
, a lawyer who studied physics and then propose a theory about everything that do not require a hypothesis about the fundamental particles as pieces of string. Of course this caught my attention. But the most interesting is the fact that Smith said that the space-time dimension is equal to 8 instead of 4 as we know it in the mainstream of physics such as the theory of relativity and quantum theory.

In the language of mathematics, physics time space was actually a octonion . Well from Tony Smith's website I knew Ben Goertzel   the hypothesized octonion as psychological space, Kent Palmer who actually saw the social space is a octonion. From there I knew sedenion as a 16 dimension hypercompleks numbers which has twice the dimension of octonion. From there anyway I know the two leaders discussed the mathematical number sedenion: Kevin Carmody and Bob de Marrais   Of course I would like to know more about sedenion. That is why I participate in the mailing lists they lead. Apparently mailing oktonion Dialognet led Kent Palmer is not very responsive. While in de Marrais mailing list I was lead the Kevin Carmody list called hypernumber discussing the number system findings of the late Charles Muses which also includes hypercomplex numbers, such octonion and sedenion.

That is why I participate actively in hypernumber mailing list and there I met new friends such as Jens Koeplinger using sedenion numbers in Muses version to the theory of gravity and Marek Eckhart who found polyplex number system. There I proposed also the theory of general  quaternions (4-dimensional hypercomplex numbers). But here I do not want to talk about such wonderful numbers. I want to tell you about myself.

No comments: